Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Najwajean - The less obvious music for rainy days


The island where I live has been sunk in water for the past few days because of a tropical storm, and it has created a mood of romantic uncertainty that I think Najwajean's music could help explain.

The spanish group is the birthchild of Najwa Nimri in voices, and Carlos Jean in sampling, who banded together in 1998 and have created what has become my favorite music in the album No Blood. Her sultry voice, that happens to be both upbeat and melancholic at the same time, is the perfect front for the strong rhythms of the music.

They haven't done anything together since their last original soundtrack for the movie Guerreros. Najwa Nimri has released, I think, two albums after this, and Carlos has been busy doing some commercial work, but the word is that they are working on new material for next year. I am anxiously awaiting the release.

No comments: